MOUNT DRUITT HISTORY OF SUBURBS

COLYTON

On August 17 1891 William Cox junior received a grant of 800 acres (Melrose) on the southern side of the Western Highway opposite the present Colyton Primary School and the northern side of Ropes Creek. Cox named the grant “Colyton” in honour of his wife’s home “Colyton House” in Devon England. Cox did not live at Colyton at any time, but used it for grazing purposes and wheat-growing. In 1842 the first subdivision of a portion of Cox’s grant was made and the village of Colyton came into being. Further subdivisions were made from time to time but growth was slow. At one time Colyton had 4 public houses to accommodate travellers along the Western road.