MOUNT DRUITT HISTORY OF SUBURBS

HEBERSHAM

In 1829, the Trustees of the Clergy and School Lands in New South Wales leased for seven years an area of 3122 acres at Rooty Hill, on which to establish a village to be called “Hebersham”. Although this village did not materialise, there is ample evidence that plans for its establishment were proceeded with over a period of some years. Selection of the name Hebersham by the Trustees of the Clergy and School Estates was, no doubt based on a wish to perpetuate the name of Bishop Heber of Calcutta whose far flung diocese included the then sparsely populated colony of New South Wales.