MOUNT DRUITT HISTORY OF SUBURBS

MOUNT DRUITT

Major George Druitt reached the colony with his regiment in 1817. He was appointed by Governor Macquarie as Acting Chief Engineer and Inspector of Works. During the four years in this office, he built many well-known roads eg Old South Head Road, Sydney to Nepean River and Parramatta to Windsor. In his duties he would have almost certainly supervised some of the work of the architect, Francis Greenway. For his services, Governor Macquarie recommended on 31st October 1821 that Major Druitt be granted 1,000 acres out of the Rooty Hill government land. Although the grant was not confirmed until as late as 1837, Major Druitt entered into immediate occupation. The grant was recorded as Mt Druitt and a“handsome looking mansion” was built opposite the present Mt Druitt Park. The home became a social centre for the weekends after his guests had driven from Sydney, as Major Druitt became known for his lavish hospitality. The entrance to Mount Druitt was near the present gateway to the Colyton Public School residence. Major Druitt was notable among the early pioneers as an officer of the 48th Regiment, a Magistrate of the Territory, Roads and Building Engineer for Macquarie and a strong proponent of freedom of the press, trial by jury and self-government for the Colony.