MOUNT DRUITT HISTORY OF SUBURBS
James Whalan was granted 300 acres in 1831 by Governor Darling. This land grant forms a substantial part of the suburb today. James Whalan was the son of Sergeant Charles Whalan, who was in command of the Lighthorse Guard during the whole of Governor Macquarie’s administration and acted as his confidential Orderly Sergeant. During World War 11 Whalan was used as an airstrip by the R.A.A.F It was located where Whalan Reserve now stands. Later after the war (1948 to 1958) the strip was used as part of a racing car track by the Australian Sporting Car Club.