MOUNT DRUITT HISTORY OF SUBURBS

EMERTON

In 1853 William Frederick Emert arrived in Sydney from Siglingen, Wuerttenberg, Germany on board the ship “Helena”. He bought land in the area now known as Emerton and became a naturalised British subject on June 13th 1863. He opened a general store and post office in Mt. Druitt in 1861 and later built a residence known as “Siglingen” in Mt Druitt Road where he lived until his death in 1899. Emert played a major role in the building of the first Wesleyan Church in the area in 1864 and also donated the land and assisted financially with the construction of the Methodist Church adjoining his home.